Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Why We're Not Emergent Part 1




I'm going to do something boring for all of my 2 readers!

I'm going to do a commentary / book review on "Why We're Not Emergent" by Kevin DeYoung and Ted Kluck. What will be different about this review is that it (1) won't be as well written as the other ones on the internet and (2) I'll incorporate thoughts from (a) a personal perspective (b) a corporate perspective as memeber of a church & fellowship.

Why am I doing this?

Because though I had been following the Emergent 'debate' from a distance, it has now entered my church and it is important to address and understand for the sake of guarding our doctrine.

Emerging Church Leaders are guys like:


1) Brian McLaren - author of "Generous Orthodoxy"
2) Doug Pagitt - author of "A Christianity Worth Believing"
3) Rob Bell - author of "SEXGOD" and "Velvet Elvis", NOOMA

Many probably don't know that there are, in fact, different stances on the Emergent church. I think it's naive to accept everything that posits itself as "Christian" without thoughtful examination. Our litmus test can't be our own experiences (i.e., well, it was helpful for me). The standard by which all else is judged is the Word of God.

OK - hopefully I can be disciplined enough to do this regularly for you two guys/girls reading this and not bore you to death.

1 comment:

ultimateringer said...

Do you agree with Driscoll?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58fgkfS6E-0